IRVINE, CA – To help salon owners have successful employee relationships and avoid costly lawsuits, Berger Kahn attorney Erin Mindoro was featured in a recent article in Nails Magazine.
The article offered tips to make hiring and managing salon staff easier for the salon owner, including:
1. Be careful when treating workers as “independent contractors” – A common mistake a salon owner can make is misclassifying workers as independent contractors, rather than employees.
2. Encourage open lines of communication – Open conversations can be the best way to work through challenging situations.
3. Avoid paying cash wages – While salons often operate in cash, paying workers by check or payroll makes it easier to document the hours worked.
4. Pay close attention to work conditions – Be sure you have an area for breaks and lunch. Allow employees enough time to take proper rest breaks and meal periods free of work obligations.
5. Pay at least an hourly minimum wage – Each state has different minimum wage requirements and guidelines for calculating the minimum wage for employees who receive tips. Familiarize yourself with your state minimum wages and other guidelines.
6. Observe overtime rules in your state – Keep schedules under eight hours daily to avoid overtime.
Says Ms. Mindoro of the advice given, “With a small adjustment to your salon’s business model, you could help prevent employment lawsuits. In the employment law context, an ounce of prevention is often worth several pounds of cure.”
ABOUT BERGER KAHN: Berger Kahn, A Law Corporation, is a California-based law firm with practice areas including insurance coverage and litigation, business litigation, labor and employment, serious personal injury and wrongful death, and subrogation. The firm has offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, and the San Francisco Bay Area. http://www.bergerkahn.com https://www.facebook.com/BergerKahnLaw?sk=info
ABOUT ERIN MINDORO: Erin Mindoro, an associate in the Irvine office, focuses her practice in the areas of employment, insurance coverage, and business litigation. Erin was selected to the Super Lawyers list of “Top Women Attorneys” and “Rising Stars,” published in Los Angeles Magazine for 2013-2014 for her work representing individuals and businesses in wage and hour disputes, sexual harassment, discrimination, and retaliation claims. She has also handled insurance claims and litigation involving disability, life, liability, and other types of insurance. Erin received her J.D. and M.B.A. degrees from the State University of New York Buffalo. http://bergerkahn.com/our-people/erin-r-mindoro/